ARE POLAROIDS WORTH IT? | FUJIFILM INSTAX MINI 8 REVIEW






Recently one of my friends asked me if she should buy a Polaroid and it got me thinking, are they actually worth it? I was given the Fujifilm Instax Mini 8 Instant Camera as a Christmas present a couple of years ago and loved the idea of being able to instantly print photos. Physical, printed photos seem a lot more special than digital ones.

First of all, these cameras are very aesthetically pleasing and are available in an array of pastel shades. I couldn't choose which shade I liked best so my parents got me a pastel pink one. Their design makes them very easy to hold, although their peculiar shape means that you have to buy camera bags or cases designed specifically for that model. A wrist strap comes with the camera and I would definitely recommend using it as I've had many incidents where I've nearly dropped it. That's another great thing about the Instax Mini 8, it's a very robust camera- mine fell from height onto a hard surface and is still in perfect condition!

The instant photos printed are about the size of a credit card and are great quality (top tip- despite whatever Outkast may tell you, do not shake Polaroid pictures, it makes them blurry!). However, you must change the light setting manually in order to get a properly developed photo. There's five light settings including; bright light, indoor lighting and dim light. Countless times I have forgotten to change the light setting and ended up with an underexposed photo! 

In terms of price, the initial cost of an Instax Mini 8 ranges from £60.00 to around £80.00 but this is obviously dependent on where you chose to buy it from. I would recommend Argos as they have a great selection of accessory packs and also sell the cameras with packs of film. The main issue I have with my camera is the cost of the film. The film generally costs anywhere from £14.00 to £25.00. I usually pay around £20.00 for a pack of 20 shots. This then works out as £1 a photo. This does make me question how often I should use my camera and I often think 'oh I should save the film for something better' which defeats the object of a Polaroid camera, intended to capture the moment. Someone once made a comment that they are the only camera that gets more expensive over time, which is very true!

However, despite the expense of film, I love my little instant camera. I like the fact that you can't edit the photos and you can really capture the pureness of the moment. I would definitely recommend one to someone who prefers printing photos as opposed to storing them digitally. They're great fun and you can always have a giggle at the photos that haven't gone to plan!

What are your thoughts on the Fujifilm Instax Mini 8 / instant cameras in general?



*Disclaimer- I am fully aware that the Fujifilm Instax Mini 8 is not a Polaroid camera however, Polaroid produced the first instant cameras and that's how most people refer to instant cameras in general* 

Comments

  1. Lovely and thorough post! It was nice to hear your thoughts on Polaroid cameras. I love the idea of having hard copies, and I’ve seen on Pinterest etc. that you can use them to decorate your room. I think the pink coloured camera was a good choice, it’s gorgeous! :-) xx

    Helen | Helens Fashion & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts